We're working with a partner who want to keep a separate test instance
with content tracking the (sizable) live repository fairly closely.
The requirement that I've been given is to entirely replace the
content from live every week or two.

Deleting 17,000 items (and over 20,000 bitstreams) is an all-day
operation, and then comes the loading phase.  It would save a lot of
time if I could export the Community/Collection structure, EPerson and
Group objects, registries, and anything else that's not an Item,
Bundle, or Bitstream; drop and recreate the database; empty the
assetstore and history; reload the noncontent tables; and then begin

So I'm looking at adding export/import for all of those objects,
probably to XML.  In the case of Community and Collection I guess the
best thing would be to just do a single exporter producing the same
XML dialect consumed by the existing Community and Collection
Structure Importer.  Likewise for the registries, it seems.  The other
classes would need importers built as well as exporters.  Comments?

Or is there a smarter way to make a consistent clone of a DSpace
instance, with its own Handles, that is writable but doesn't affect
the original?  (The Handle business, plus the need to quiesce the
production site to ensure consistency across database and assetstore,
is why I don't just use tar and pg_dump.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.