MarkW,

We utilize a postgres database dump and restore plus directory rsync
to synchronize staging services and production instances. Its a very
light process and generally takes less time than what your attempting.
 You want to be able to reduce the copying of resources that already
exist on your target system.  I created this process while dealing
with upgrades at MIT, we use in now as a component of the upgrade
process with our @mire clients.  This is the smartest way I know of to
clone a DSpace instance.

MarkD

--