Hello, Janice.We experienced the same issue here in Brasilia.As Stuarted said,
jspui has this option. We are using xmlui, but when we need to move an item, we
use jspui. Xmlui and jspui are running together on server, so it's possible to
access them in a independent way.We are developing our digital library at
Tribunal Superior do Trabalho in Brasilia. If you want, email us to share
ideas.Thanks.
______________________________________________________>From: Claudia Jürgen
<claudia.juer...@ub...> - 2009-06-30 07:17
>Hi Janice,

>as Stuart pointed out this function is only available for the jspui.
>Assuming you use postgres the psql commands for moving an item are:

>update item set owning_collection=NewCollectionID where
 item_id=ItemID;

Stuart Lewis schrieb:
> Hi Janice,
>

> The bad news: at present this function does not exist in 1.5.2 XMLUI.
> The good news: it does exist in the JSPUI (if you have that running
> too?) and will exist in 1.6 in the XMLUI.
>

> If you don't have access to the jspui (you can run it alongside the
> xmlui) then the only way to perform the move is to do a little bit of
> database tweaking.
>

> You'll need to edit the item in the 'item' table (update the
> owning_collection field) and edit the
 relevant entry in the
> 'collection2item' table. You'll then need to reindex DSpace using
> [dspace]/bin/index-update
>

> Thanks,
>

> Stuart Lewis
>
> Digital Services Programmer
>
> Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library
>
> Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
>
> Ph: 64 9 373-7599 x81928
>
> http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz <http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/> /

 everyone,