Well, a few comments to this ordeal.

1. Hmmm "tick" eh? We need to make sure that admins understand the difference between the tick and the single quote. That caught me completely off guard. On the keyboard the character is referred to (officially) as Grave and the character when using the shift is the double tilde.

2. less does really "do" anything. Now, I'm running AIX, so java flavor can make a different. cat worked perfectly and solved all my problems. Should this too be a documented feature? What's the difference
as we know them?  And why one over the other?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Jeffrey Trimble
System LIbrarian