Hi Andrea,

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:10:04 +0100, Andrea Bollini wrote:

> Apologies for cross posting, I like to receive feedback on both
> technical aspects and user needs. At CILEA, we are exploring the
> opportunity to expose DSpace data to the RePEc network,

Just to say that we already do this here at Stirling. Our Economics department
wanted to expose their Working Papers to RePEC, so I created a PHP application
(that lives outside of DSpace) that extracts the metadata directly from the
DSpace database for our Economics Department Working Papers collection
(https://dspace.stir.ac.uk/dspace/handle/1893/477) and re-writes it in RePEC
format (ReDIF) and places it on a web server for RePEC to harvest (via http)
and add to RePEC/IDEAS (http://ideas.repec.org/s/stl/stledp.html).

My script runs each night, checks to see if there have been any modifications
to the collection (or any items in the collections) since the last time it was
checked - if there have, then the RePEC files are re-generated - RePEC checks
the files during their next scheduled check, sees that they have been modified
since the last time they were harvested and re-harvests them - this picks up
new additions or any items that have been updated since the last harvest, but
avoids anyone doing anything if nothing has changed or been added.

I've set up an author name to RePEC authorID mapping (in an external file) for
those authors that have a RePEC ID set up. This  ensures publications are
formally linked to our authors within RePEC (via the "Author-Person" field -
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pbe71.html). I've also abstracted out the mapping from
the required RePEC elements to the corresponding DSpace metadata fields (this
also allows you to specify more than one DSpace field per RePEC element - if
first is empty, use second etc - ideal way to deal with "Creation-Date" whose
value can come from "dc.citation.date" or "dc.date.issued" in our case).

I will admit that this was thrown together in an afternoon or two just to solve
an immediate need so is very specific to our set-up and requirements (lots of
hardwired stuff, single item type, so currently not very customisable or
generalisable), but it has been working well for us for a couple of years.

We are currently on DSpace v1.4.1 here, but I am hoping to upgrade to v1.6 over
the coming months, and, as part of this, I will need to redo the RePEC
integration, so I am definitely interested in the work that you are doing and
would be happy to feed in our requirements and help in any way that I can. As I
said, my stuff is all PHP (and pretty specific to our needs), but happy to
share if this is of interest or use.

Regards,

Mike

Michael White