Hi Mike
many thanks to have shared your experience!
As I say we are in an exploring phase so we want know how many people
are interested in a DSpace/RePEc integration, how much wired are the
existing approach and so on...
>From a technical point of view there are very few things that I don't
like in your solution:
1) it is php based, this mean additional requirements for the server
that run dspace and direct access to the dspace db this make the update
path a little more complex
2) it makes a copy of the metadata, copy is no bad in general but imho
should be used only when there is evidence of performance problems/load
issues
Instead from the user side... as it has work well for a couple of years
and your users are happy with it, it is great and probably the leak of
generality is not so important as "we", technicians people, can think ;-)

If you ask your users for improvements what do you think that they
answer? more item types? separate series/archives?
when you have setup your service, are there already some items shared
with RePEc or you have started directly from DSpace?
if there are previous items in RePEc from your depts, have you been able
to prevent duplication?

About the upgrade to the 1.6 I suggest you to use the new support for
authority to keep track of the authorID directly in DSpace.
About this... do you know if exist a search service for query the RePEc
author registry or the new authorclaim? in this case, it could be pretty
simple build a DSpace plugin that offer autocomplete functionalities to
pickup the author during the cataloguing...otherwise you need to expose
in some way your local mapping file.
Cheers,
Andrea