Just thought I'd pass on this (probably newbie) lesson learned about
setting up Dspace on RHEL5. I was following the instructions at:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Installing+DSpace+on+Red+Hat
+Enterprise+Linux+5

which lists the following steps as part of setting up tomcat:

cd /usr/local/tomcat/webapps
ln -s /dspace/webapps/jspui ROOT
## for the Manakin interface replace jspui with xmlui

This worked well enough and it is fine if using tomcat compiled
from source which might have its webapps/ROOT under
/usr/local/tomcat, but oddly, the document also recommends
using tomcat5-webapps package from the RHEL5 supplementary channel.
This package has ROOT under /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps,
as can be seen below:

[r...@vrs yum]# rpm -ql tomcat5-webapps | grep ROOT
/var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/ROOT
[snip]

So in my setup, I did:

mv /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/ROOT /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/ROOT_saved
ln -s /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/xmlui /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/ROOT

The unfortunate consequence of this is that when I upgraded to
the latest version of the tomcat-webapps package from Red Hat,
it deleted everything under webapps/ROOT and set it back to the
package defaults.

The fix was just to perform the same steps as above, removing
and saving the ROOT directory and then recopying files from
the [dspace]webapps/xmlui directory into ROOT.

Of course, I really don't want to leave things this way, since they
will just break again the next time tomcat5-webapps is upgraded.

Perhaps the document should include a note about this risk.

I'm wondering what setups others are using on RHEL5.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,
Syd Weidman