Greetings,

Two weeks ago I was told about DSpace and yesterday I downloaded the Zip File
(1.6.2 release) and joined this listserv.  We're a small academic library in
Brooklyn, NY and want to make thesis, academic catalogs, and yearbooks
available online, but password secured. However, having read the recent posts
on this listserv, I'm afraid that my technical knowledge may not be sufficient
enough to install and run DSpace. I manage the library's website and know HTML
and CSS - but not XML , PHP or any other server-side programming language.
Since we don't have a Systems Librarian and there's no official customer
support for DSpace (other than this listserv),  it would be up to me to answer
my own questions. I may get some help from our IT Dept. in installing the
software, but that's where their help will end.  Can anyone tell me what
programs or languages one should know to successfully install and run DSpace?
Perhaps it's not as difficult as it seems. Or maybe  DSpace is too large a
project for what we need to do.  If that's the case, can someone recommend a
less intimidating open source software that will give us what we need? Thanks
in advance for your replies.

  Alex Kustanovich
  Reference and Instruction Librarian
  St. Francis College Library