Hi Alex,
Am 17.11.2010 23:49, schrieb Alex Kustanovich:

Greetings,

Two weeks ago I was told about DSpace and yesterday I downloaded the Zip File (1.6.2 release) and joined this listserv.  We’re a small academic library in Brooklyn, NY and want to make thesis, academic catalogs, and yearbooks available online, but password secured. However, having read the recent posts on this listserv, I’m afraid that my technical knowledge may not be sufficient enough to install and run DSpace. I manage the library’s website and know HTML and CSS – but not XML , PHP or any other server-side programming language. Since we don’t have a Systems Librarian and there’s no official customer support for DSpace (other than this listserv),  it would be up to me to answer my own questions. I may get some help from our IT Dept. in installing the software, but that’s where their help will end.  Can anyone tell me what programs or languages one should know to successfully install and run DSpace? Perhaps it’s not as difficult as it seems. Or maybe  DSpace is too large a project for what we need to do.  If that’s the case, can someone recommend a less intimidating open source software that will give us what we need? Thanks in advance for your replies.

In most cases you don't need any programming skills. Most things are done by configuring some files. You will need to know how to administrate Tomcat and prehaps Apache. To change the look of DSpace, customize the css files.

If you need some more functionalities. like an different advanced search, you will need advanced skills in Java, JSP, XML, XSLT. If you would like to change things in Manakin you also need skills in Cocoon and know how Manakin works.

So, in one sentence: Using DSpace out of the box is easy, changes are difficult to realize.

Have a nice day!

-- Franck

  Alex Kustanovich
  Reference and Instruction Librarian

  St. Francis College Library

  180 Remsen Street

  Brooklyn, NY 11201

  718-489-3445

  akustanov...@stfranciscollege.edu

new_library_logo-signature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Beautiful is writing same markup. Internet Explorer 9 supports standards for HTML5, CSS3, SVG 1.1, ECMAScript5, and DOM L2 & L3. Spend less time writing and rewriting code and more time creating great experiences on the web. Be a part of the beta today http://p.sf.net/sfu/msIE9-sfdev2dev