Hi Marc,

I know this is a really late response to your question (from over a month
ago).

There's now a new backup/restore (or export/import) option in DSpace 1.7,
which allows you to export METS-based AIPs (Archival Information Packages).
These can then be reingested to restore/import content into the same or
another DSpace instance.

However, currently, you cannot export/import these AIPs via OAI-PMH or
OAI-ORE.  Though, it may be possible with a little extra code/configurations
to enable that in DSpace 1.7.

I'm not sure if this is what you may be looking for with your LOCKSS
integration or not. But, I wanted to make you aware of this new option.

Much more information available in the online 1.7 docs at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/AIP+Backup+and+Restore

- Tim