Hi Mark,

DSpace is supposed to inherit Admin permissions automatically.  So, if
you are an Admin of a Community, it also means you should be an Admin of
all Sub-Communities, Collections or Items within that Community.

Can you let us know what version of DSpace are you using?  It's possible
you may be running into a bug in an old version of DSpace.

- Tim