On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 09:57:06AM -0800, Glenn Little wrote:
> Thanks helix, well-written answer.  A couple of questions (I was
> hoping to touch the tomcat config as little as possible since I'm a
> complete tomcat neophyte)...

I'm not helix, but...

> Why do you need to go through the chain of ports (8009 -> 8443)?
> First, is the 8443 necessary if. in apache's conf, you redirect all
> port 80 requests over to ssl 443?  Second, what is "ajp" for?

It is not necessary, so far as I can tell.  One of our instances has
*only* the port 8009 Connector uncommented:
    <Connector address="127.0.0.1"
               port="8009"
               protocol="AJP/1.3"
               redirectPort="8443" />

AJP is the proxy protocol that runs between HTTPD and Tomcat.  HTTP is
not used on that leg.  "AJP" stands for Apache JServ Protocol, for some
historical reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_JServ_Protocol
http://www.wellho.net/mouth/1549_http-https-and-ajp-comparison-and-choice.html

Hmmm, I think that redirectPort is wrong, and should be "443".  But
here HTTPD does the redirecting, so Tomcat will never see a request
that didn't come in over HTTPS and won't want to redirect.

> This may be simple-minded, but if a browser can talk directly to
> tomcat on 8080, why can't apace do so as well?

As noted above, HTTPD and Tomcat are communicating via another
protocol.  It wouldn't be good sanitation to run AJP on 8080, which is
IIRC a well-known alternate/proxy HTTP port.

I believe that you can do an HTTP proxy with Tomcat, and I would use
8080 on the Tomcat end for that, but I've never wanted to.

> Also, it looks like the "Contexts" you're setting up in tomcat are a
> little like rewrite rules or aliases in apache.  Is there a reason you
> do them as contexts instead?

Context is part of the Servlet specification, and holds the
environment in which a particular webapp (XMLUI, SWORD, etc.) runs.
The Context element in the configuration causes a Context object to be
set up for the app. by the container, and specifies the connection
between the webapp's deployed files and URL space.  The mapping
doesn't have to use the same names, so it can be used for a sort of
aliasing, but there is a lot more to it than that.  Do read the Tomcat
documentation (and the Servlet spec.) for more detail.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.