Hi Manju,

There is only supposed to be an "Import Metadata" button if your user is the
site admin. If you log in as the admin user (dspacedemo+admin@...) on the
demo site ( demo.dspace.org/xmlui ), you'll notice that admin user gets the
import metadata button, but none of the other users have it. Try visiting
http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/admin/metadataimport while logged in as a
non-admin user, and you get an insufficient privileges warning.

For your instance that you have installed, either check that your user is a
site admin (i.e. member of group 1), or check that any customizations that
you've made haven't broken this feature.

If your user can visit the admin/metadataimport page, and it has a file box
to upload metadata, then steps to debug the would be to up your logging
level to debug, and watch the logs while the page is rendered. Also, check
the DRI, i.e. http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/DRI/ while logged in, and see if
<xref target="/xmlui/admin/metadataimport">
Import Metadata
</xref> exists.

You can trace that backwards to see if you've customized
dspace-xmlui-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/xmlui/aspect/administrative/Navigation.java<http://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/dspace/trunk/dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/app/xmlui/aspect/administrative/Navigation.java>that
is has a line:

admin.addItemXref(contextPath+ "/admin/metadataimport",
T_administrative_import_metadata);

Hope that helps,
#1.7.0, #xmlui, #metadata-import

Peter Dietz