On May 6, 2011, at 8:03 AM, Tonny Hjelmberg Laursen wrote:

> We are in the middle of doing a implementation of Primo from Exlibris
> (integrated search - http://www.exlibrisgroup.com/category/PrimoOverview).
> Primo can harvest Dspace, but we don't want all the items where the full text
> is not public accessibly in Primo. We can't configure Primo not to harvest
> those items, Primo can only manipulate the harvested data.
>
> Tonny
>

> Den 06/05/2011 kl. 16.49 skrev Richard Rodgers:
>
>> Hi Tonny:
>>
>> The embargo system is designed to protect bitstreams, not metadata. While it
>> certainly would be possible to alter OAI or other code to check for embargo
>> dates, this has not been done to the best of my knowledge. I am curious why,
>> given that the content will be inaccessible, is it desirable to hide the
>> metadata from harvesters?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Richard

I think the question should be more, why shouldn't there be a option to
restrict access to metadata in DSpace?  Mostly its an architectural struggle,
there would need to be significant work done to control access rights in search
and browse results (likewise OAI).  I don't think its a formal stance in the
community that metadata shouldn't be restricted, I think its a big problem to
try to solve and thats why its not present as a feature.  There are reasons to
make the actual Item private that have nothing to do with Open Access
philosophy.

Mark