I ran across the following error last week while trying to run the media filter
(I'm using DSpace 1.7.2, on Ubuntu 10.04.2):

Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/libmanagement.so:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/libmanagement.so: cannot open shared
object file: Too many open files
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1750)
        at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:67)
        at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(LoadLibraryAction.java:47)
        at sun.management.ManagementFactory.<clinit>(ManagementFactory.java:485)
        at
java.lang.management.ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer(ManagementFactory.java:521)
        at
org.dspace.kernel.DSpaceKernelManager.unregisterMBean(DSpaceKernelManager.java:178)
        at
org.dspace.servicemanager.DSpaceKernelImpl.destroy(DSpaceKernelImpl.java:211)
        at
org.dspace.servicemanager.DSpaceKernelImpl.doDestroy(DSpaceKernelImpl.java:233)
        at
org.dspace.servicemanager.DSpaceKernelImpl$1.run(DSpaceKernelImpl.java:78)

It appears this error is not a problem with DSpace so much as the server
environment, but I'm wondering if anyone else has come across such an error
before?

This error occurred after the new items had been filtered and the script was in
the process of updating the index. I recently added about a thousand items that
had very poor OCR (they were very old documents) and our index word limit is
not set, so I am wondering if the index has become too large due to all the new
"words" from the bad OCR. Many of the pdfs we added are pretty large so I'm
also wondering if it's just a memory issue.

Any thoughts?

Joshua

Joshua Gomez
Digital Library Programmer Analyst