Thanks, Mark, that code from MIT looks interesting, I will look into it
more. I did notice that the Bagit spec is supported by the SWORD protocol,
and when I mentioned this to our archivist, he went and looked and it does
appear that the BIL 3.9 can send a "bag" using SWORD (see output of the
BIL -h command, pasted below). So, it looks like Bagger and/or BIL +
turning on SWORD for our repository will get us what we want. Huzzah!

*****
BagIt Library (BIL) Version 3.9
Usage: bag <operation> [operation arguments] [--help]
Parameters:
        <operation>
                Valid operations are: baginplace, bob, checkpayloadoxum, create,
fillholey, generatepayloadoxum, makecomplete, makeholey, retrieve,
splitbagbyfiletype, splitbagbysize, splitbagbysizeandfiletype, sword,
update, updatetagmanifests, verifycomplete, verifypayloadmanifests,
verifytagmanifests and verifyvalid.
                Operation explanations:
                        baginplace: Creates a bag-in-place.  The source must be
a directory on
a filesystem and may already have a data directory.
                        bob: Sends a bag using BOB.
                        checkpayloadoxum: Generates Payload-Oxum and checks
against
Payload-Oxum in bag-info.txt.
                        create: Creates a bag from supplied files/directories,
completes the
bag, and then writes in a specified format.
                        fillholey: Retrieves any missing pieces of a local bag.
                        generatepayloadoxum: Generates and returns the
Payload-Oxum for the bag.
                        makecomplete: Completes a bag and then writes in a
specified format.
Completing a bag fills in any missing parts.
                        makeholey: Generates a fetch.txt and then writes bag in
a specified
format.
                        retrieve: Retrieves a bag exposed by a web server. A
local holey bag is
not required.
                        splitbagbyfiletype: Splits a bag by file types.
                        splitbagbysize: Splits a bag by size.
                        splitbagbysizeandfiletype: Splits a bag by size and
file types.
                        sword: Sends a bag using SWORD.
                        update: Updates the manifests and (if it exists) the
bag-info.txt for a
bag.
                        updatetagmanifests: Updates the tag manifests for a
bag.  The bag must
be unserialized.
                        verifycomplete: Verifies the completeness of a bag.
                        verifypayloadmanifests: Verifies the checksums in all
payload manifests.
                        verifytagmanifests: Verifies the checksums in all tag
manifests.
                        verifyvalid: Verifies the validity of a bag.
        [--version]
                Prints version of BIL and exits.
        [--help]
                Prints usage message for the operation.
Examples:
        bag verifyvalid --help
                Prints help for the verifyvalid operation.

--
HARDY POTTINGER <pottinge...@umsystem.edu>
University of Missouri Library Systems