Hi Patrick,

A few questions for you:
* What version of DSpace are you using? 1.7.0, 1.7.1 or 1.7.2?
* Just a generic question -- is there a reason why you want to run this
in "manifestOnly=true" mode?  In the docs, it's worth noting that that
setting is marked as "experimental" and that it should "never be set to
true if you want to be able to restore content file" (In other words,
with this option set to "true", you are only exporting Metadata, and
not content files -- admittedly, this option is still very
"experimental" in nature) See:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/AIP+Backup+and+Restore#AIPBackupandRestore-AdditionalPackagerOptions

That all being said, a "socket closed" exception usually means that the
JDBC client somehow lost its connection to your Database for some
reason.  It could happen for a variety of reasons. If the database is
on a separate server, it could be a network problem (though if it's a
consistent error, this may be less likely). T
here could also be a bug
in the code somewhere that you are hitting (where somehow the
connection was accidentally closed or dropped).  Others may know of
other scenarios (these are just the ones I'm aware of off the top of my
head).

Does this error always happen immediately? or does the command run for
a while and then error out (i.e. are some/many AIPs generated
successfully before the error)?  Is it a specific object in DSpace that
causes the error?

I can also try to do more testing on my end to see if I can replicate
it by running a sitewide export with the "manifest=true" option set
(though, we have our DSpace 1.8.0 Feature Freeze tomorrow, so I may not
get back to this until Monday, to be honest).

- Tim

On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:45:23 PM, Patrick Etienne wrote:
> DSpace Techies,
>
> I've been attempting to leverage the new AIP tool in order to export
> data from one dspace instance into another for the purpose of testing
> development instances (wit
h which I'm building themes) and have come
> across a java error that I can't seem to figure out how to resolve.
> I'm not the sys admin of servers responsible for hosting the instances
> but do have access to enough that I should be able to do some
> troubleshooting. The error is as follows:
>
> -------------------------
>
> [dspace_gkr@gkr-dev exports]$ ../gkrtest/bin/dspace packager -d -a -t
> AIP -o manifestOnly=true -e patrick.etie...@library.gatech.edu -i
> GKRTEST/0 harvest_test-aip.zip
>
> Disseminating DSpace SITE [ hdl=GKRTEST/0 ] to harvest_test-aip.zip
>
> Also disseminating all child objects (recursive mode)..
> This may take a while, please check your logs for ongoing status while
> we process each package.
> Exception: An I/O error occured while sending to the backend.
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: An I/O error occured while sending
> to the backend.
>       at
> org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:214)
>       at org.postgres
ql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:452)
>       at
> org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:354)
>       at
> org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:258)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:96)
>       at
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:96)
>       at
> org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.queryTable(DatabaseManager.java:225)
>       at
> org.dspace.authorize.AuthorizeManager.getPolicies(AuthorizeManager.java:511)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.crosswalk.METSRightsCrosswalk.disseminateElement(METSRightsCrosswalk.java:156)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSDisseminator.crosswalkToMetsElement(AbstractMETSDisseminator.java:1342)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSDisseminator.makeMdSec(AbstractMETSDisseminator.java:597)
>       at org.ds
pace.content.packager.AbstractMETSDisseminator.addToAmdSec(AbstractMETSDisseminator.java:710)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSDisseminator.addAmdSec(AbstractMETSDisseminator.java:737)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSDisseminator.makeManifest(AbstractMETSDisseminator.java:889)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSDisseminator.disseminate(AbstractMETSDisseminator.java:230)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.DSpaceAIPDisseminator.disseminate(DSpaceAIPDisseminator.java:157)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractPackageDisseminator.disseminateAll(AbstractPackageDisseminator.java:86)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractPackageDisseminator.disseminateAll(AbstractPackageDisseminator.java:120)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractPackageDisseminator.disseminateAll(AbstractPackageDisseminator.java:141)
>       at
> org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractPackageDisseminator.disseminateAll(AbstractPackageDisseminator.java:132)
>       at org.dspace.con
tent.packager.AbstractPackageDisseminator.disseminateAll(AbstractPackageDisseminator.java:152)
>       at org.dspace.app.packager.Packager.disseminate(Packager.java:635)
>       at org.dspace.app.packager.Packager.main(Packager.java:460)
>       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>       at
>       at
>       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
>       at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:183)
> Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
>       at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:99)
>       at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
>       at
> java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:65)
>       at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java:123)
>       at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.flush(PGSt
ream.java:532)