Patrick,

Sounds good.  Let us know what you find out.  If you notice any other
oddity/issue, we'll definitely want to get it resolved for 1.8.0.

Also, if you find DS-930 is the cause, you could also just "patch" your
local code with the patch that is attached to DS-930.  It's literally a
one-line fix to the RoleCrosswalk.java class.  So, it's up to you if
you'd rather "turn off" the RoleCrosswalk (as described in the previous
email) or just apply the patch to fix it so that it properly closes its
database connections.

Good luck,

- Tim

On Monday, August 22, 2011 2:37:13 PM, Patrick Etienne wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Thanks so much! This is wonderful information. I really appreciate your
> taking the time to write all this up. I'm going to be looking into the
> things you mentioned here and do a little exploring to see if I can
> eliminate the problem or at least use this information to narrow down
> even further what is really going on. I likely won't email back about i
> for perhaps two weeks (other things going on), but I'll certainly get
> back to you with whatever information that I'm able that might help
> toward the stability of the AIP tool.
>
> Thanks again!
>
>   - Patrick
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Tim Donohue <tdono...@duraspace.org
> <mailto:tdono...@duraspace.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Patrick,
>

>     On 8/19/2011 2:33 PM, Patrick Etienne wrote:
>
>         To start, I should toss out a little system information:
>         DSpace v. 1.7.2
>         Java version "1.6.0_26"
>         PostgresSQL 8.4.7
>         All on the same RedHat box.
>

>     Thanks!  This all looks reasonable/normal.
>

>         The next important detail is that I should have removed the
>         "manifestOnly" option from the command as I've experienced the error
>         with manifestOnly set to true as well as left out (defaulted to
>         false).
>         As a side note, this use of manifestOnly was more of an aftertho
ught
>         (I'd noted it's experimental nature), and I'm not certain that it
>         actually does quite what I was looking for. My purpose is setting up
>         instances with data so that I can fully test themes I'm building for
>         various institutions, but I'm not really needing "content files"
>         (bitstreams), just the communities, sub-communities, collections,
>         item-pages, and /references/ to content files (having files or not
>         doesn't really matter as much, but it'd be preferable to leave
>         out the
>         asset store). From the description in your email, it does sound
>         indeed
>         as though setting the manifestOnly option to "true" would be
>         good for my
>         use-case /as long as/ the feature was stable (which, as it has been
>         said, it's not as of yet). But again, the manifestOnly option is
>         not a
>         priority (for me) at this point.
>

>     OK, good to know. Yes, t
he manifestOnly option will not give you
>     bitstreams (as you expected). It just includes metadata & structure
>     (communities/collections etc). However, as mentioned, it is still
>     very experimental. I've admittedly never tried to migrate content
>     using the manifestOnly option -- so, I'm not sure how stable the
>     import will be.
>
>     But, as the import isn't the problem right now...we can leave that
>     for later.
>

>         It sounds as though the next piece of the puzzle might be the
>         database
>         connection. The postgres service that I'm using for the
>         instance(s) is
>         on the same machine as the dspace instance(s). I think that
>         eliminates
>         network troubles as a potential cause (not that there couldn't be
>         something else going on with the postgres service).
>
>         Next up would be a little more detail concerning the behavior of the
>         attempted command. The error does no
t happen immediately, it
>         does run
>         for a while before erroring out.
>
>     <snip>
>
>         After this I ended up shutting down all the tomcat instances save
>         for the large one and also increased the db.maxconnections to
>         400 (just
>         to give it a whirl). This seemed to allow the AIP export to go even
>         longer before erroring out.
>

>     Hmm..I wonder.
>
>      >From the reaction after increasing 'db.maxconnections', it sounds
>     as though it could be that your DSpace is just running out of
>     database connections (as though connections are not being closed
>     properly).
>
>     It's possible you are encountering this bug (which will be fixed in
>     1.8.0):
>     https://jira.duraspace.org/__browse/DS-930
>     <https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-930>
>
>     The AIP Export uses the RoleCrosswalk listed in DS-930 (to export
>     user permissions/groups into the DSPACE-ROLES schema). We realized

   there was a small bug in the RoleCrosswalk, where it wasn't closing
>     its DB Connections properly.
>
>     So, if you don't care whether you are moving user
>     permissions/groups, you can turn "off" usage of the RoleCrosswalk by
>     changing the following in your dspace.cfg.
>
>     First, you'd want to turn off the "DSPACE-ROLES" schema export, by
>     removing it from this line (also remove the comma)
>
>     aip.disseminate.techMD = PREMIS, DSPACE-ROLES
>
>     Second, you'd want to turn off the "METSRIGHTS" schema export, by
>     removing it from this line (also remove the last comma)
>
>     aip.disseminate.rightsMD = DSpaceDepositLicense:DSPACE___DEPLICENSE, \
>         CreativeCommonsRDF:DSPACE___CCRDF,
>     CreativeCommonsText:DSPACE___CCTEXT, METSRIGHTS
>
>     What this does is disables the export of users/groups (DSPACE-ROLES)
>     and permissions (METSRIGHTS) in AIPs. WARNING: in most backup
>     scenarios, you would NOT want to do this, as
you cannot restore
>     users/groups/permissions if they are not in the AIPs. However, for
>     your purposes of moving around test content, you may not care
>     whether users/groups/permissions are moved successfully.
>
>     More info about DSPACE-ROLES and METSRIGHTS schemas can be found at:
>     https://wiki.duraspace.org/__display/DSDOC/DSpace+AIP+__Format
>     <https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/DSpace+AIP+Format>
>
>     If you are encountering the DS-930 bug, disabling both
>     "DSPACE-ROLES" and "METSRIGHTS" may actually allow the export to
>     succeed.  But, as stated, you won't have any user/groups/permissions
>     info in your AIPs. So, when you re-import those AIPs, everything
>     will just end up with generic default permissions (i.e. publicly
>     accessible, but a System Administrator has rights to edit
>     everything, etc)
>
>     <snip>
>
>         I discovered while tweaking with the database settings was that
>         running

       the AIP export while tailing the log file showed that the
>         org.postgresql.util.__PSQLException popped up at least a few
>         times for
>         each AIP export I'd attempted to do.
>

>     Is it that same PSQLException each time, with the same error
>     message/description?  Does it pop up for every item even when you
>     bump up the 'db.maxconnections'?
>
>     Just curious if a large value for 'db.maxconnections' is actually
>     having a beneficial effect overall. If so, that would imply that you
>     are likely hitting a bug in DSpace where it isn't closing DB
>     connections after queries are run (i.e. like I described above, it
>     may be the DS-930 bug).
>

>         "Is it a specific object in DSpace that causes the error?"
>         This is a great question. I'm not sure how to answer it though
>         (would
>         probably need a "query level" of postgres logs?). I can say that for
>         certain this was the case
for an earlier error (not one that
>         related to
>         postgres issues) that we'd encountered with the AIP tool. The
>         cause of
>         the earlier error was that we'd somehow managed to have a couple
>         items
>         in the instance that did not have titles. After making sure that the
>         items were removed or given dc.title (pretty sure that was the exact
>         field) values, that error was resolved. If there are specific
>         things to
>         look for within the postgres logs, I'm sure I can get my sysadmin to
>         give me access so that I can look through them. It seems to me
>         that this
>         might have more to do with postgres than dspace, but it also
>         seems like
>         a reasonable possibility that dspace is opening database calls that
>         remain idle and aren't completing, or something of the like. I'm not
>         sure. Any suggestions or avenues to explore for further information

       toward troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

>     Actually, I forget that this is a bit more difficult in 1.7.x.  In
>     1.8.0 (coming in Oct), the logging has been vastly improved. So, you
>     can now determine more easily what is going on by looking at the
>     logs (see https://jira.duraspace.org/__browse/DS-896
>     <https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-896>).
>
>     If you are "brave" you could actually apply the "Curator.patch"
>     attached to DS-896, and it may provide you with more information in
>     your dspace.log that could be of use in tracking down what is happening.
>     (Obviously, don't do this in Production, but it sounds like
>     everything you are working on is in a development environment.)
>
>     As you can tell, many improvements are heading your way in 1.8.0 to
>     make this a bit easier.
>
>     - Tim
>

> --
> Patrick K. Etienne