Hi Bill,

I'm curious, what are the details of the NullPointerException which is
thrown when you attempt to delete/withdraw these items from the UI? That
might give some clue as to what is missing from these items, and how
best to "temporarily fix" them to expunge them completely.

For example, if the NullPointer has to do with the missing handle, then
it might be easiest to assign them a handle manually, so that they can
be removed via the UI.  Otherwise, you are correct, you may need to dig
into the database to figure out the proper SQL query to clean them up
(but that is potentially messy for the reasons you mentioned).  If you
do dig into SQL, obviously make sure to backup the DB first.

- Tim