On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 12:45, Swanepoel, Barrie <barr...@uj.ac.za> wrote:
> I will appreciate if the list could have a discussion around the optimum
> memory allocations for this as well as the Postgresql.

Here's a starting page for performance tuning. Make sure to look at
Postgres there.

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/HowToPerformanceTuneForDspace

Of course, this is not specific to DSpace, so you'll probably get more
information on Tomcat pages and mailing lists.

Also there's no panacea for DSpace memory issues and no generic
optimal setting. Monitoring is essential for proper performance
tuning, so you might want to watch memory usage in Tomcat over a
longer time period to better understand its requirements in your
particular usage scenario. I suggest you look at
http://www.lambdaprobe.org/ but there are quite a few tools that can
do this.

That all said, I don't think you need to worry too much with just
several thousand items in your repository. But of course it's
important to learn it if your repository will grow to hundreds of
thousands.

Regards,
~~helix84