A note of caution, though: we had a problem with our stats the other day and I went to unzip the logs so I could re-run the stats scripts... I had 25 gigs free and we ran out of disk space during the unzipping. Crazy! So, while it's useful to keep the logs around, it's not exactly easy to just reuse them!

Hope that helps,

Alan

On 11/08/2011 11:52 AM, amutsikiwa wrote:

Thanks. I managed to make a copy of cocoon.log , checker.log and handle-plugin.log and managed to recover 2GB. Now I am wondering of the dspace.log.2010-12-21 and dspace.log.2010-12-21.solr which one are necessary for computation of access statistics.

*From:*Peter Dietz [mailto:pdiet...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Monday, November 07, 2011 7:27 PM
*To:* amutsikiwa
*Cc:* dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
*Subject:* Re: [Dspace-tech] DSpace Logs

Hi Admire,

There is interesting information that lives in old logs. You could in the future build something to count how many queries have been performed on your system, see how popular your RSS feeds are, look at errors users encounter, etc.

So, if your concerned with space and backup time, you could either move your old logs off of your production server, and move them to another server that works more as an "archive". Or.. you could just tar/zip up some old logs to compress them which will save a massive amount of space. So that when you need the logs in the future, you can just extract them.

The dspace.log logs are important. Cocoon.log is not important.

I wouldn't recommend altering the contents of dspace.log, but if you've had debug mode on for an extended period of time, you might want to remove debug entries.

Peter Dietz