DSpace Tech List,

In further pursuit of exporting and importing data between two dspace
instances, I have a somewhat more advanced question that I'm seeking help
with. I'm running into a problem where an error is being thrown, letting me
know that certain epersons already exist within the instance which is the
import target. I've attempted a few things such as modifying the
configuration of the export instance, modifying the configuration of the
import instance, and removing epersons to no avail. I'll lay out the
specifics below. If anyone has ideas, they'd be most appreciated.

First I'll detail the specific action that I'm attempting to make.
I have two dspace instances that I'm trying to "merge" in a specific way.
One instance is a "meta" instance of sorts - it contains the structure of
several different whole instances, where each outside whole instance is a
community within the meta-instance. My task has been to make certain that
all communities, collections and items from the original whole instance are
present within the associated meta-instance community for that source
instance. This means that the parent AIP objects (my term, not sure if I'm
using it 100% correctly) are different for the source and destination
instances. Specifically, when working with the source instance, I'm doing a
full export of the entire site (-i handle/0). But when importing the
export, I'm attempting to place the entire tree at a specific community
within the destination instance (-p handle/1234).

Here's the command that I'm using during the import (the export goes fine):
./dspace packager -r -a -t AIP -p 123456789/2814 -e
administrator@domain.extpath-to-archive/aip.2012-01-11.zip

Now, I'll paste a copy of the specific error I'm running into:
-----------------------------------
Destination parents:
Owner: 123456789/2814
Ingesting package located at
/var/www/dspace_root/src/aip/albany_dev.aip.2012-01-11/albany_dev.aip.2012-01-11.zip
Also ingesting all referenced packages (recursive mode)..
This may take a while, please check your logs for ongoing status while we
process each package.
org.dspace.content.crosswalk.CrosswalkInternalException:
org.dspace.content.packager.PackageException: EPerson
user@domain.extalready exists.
at org.dspace.content.crosswalk.RoleCrosswalk.ingest(RoleCrosswalk.java:338)
at org.dspace.content.crosswalk.RoleCrosswalk.ingest(RoleCrosswalk.java:257)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.METSManifest.crosswalkXmd(METSManifest.java:1151)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.METSManifest.crosswalkObjectOtherAdminMD(METSManifest.java:1064)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSIngester.ingestObject(AbstractMETSIngester.java:459)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSIngester.ingest(AbstractMETSIngester.java:234)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractPackageIngester.ingestAll(AbstractPackageIngester.java:120)
at org.dspace.app.packager.Packager.ingest(Packager.java:515)
at org.dspace.app.packager.Packager.main(Packager.java:427)
at
at
at org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:183)
Caused by: org.dspace.content.packager.PackageException: EPerson
ashley.willi...@asurams.edu already exists.
at
org.dspace.content.packager.RoleIngester.ingestDocument(RoleIngester.java:119)
at org.dspace.content.packager.RoleIngester.ingest(RoleIngester.java:448)
at org.dspace.content.crosswalk.RoleCrosswalk.ingest(RoleCrosswalk.java:334)
... 13 more
-----------------------------------

After encountering this error, I looked around in the dspace.cfg of both
the source and destination instances and had two thoughts. First was that
perhaps I could disable eperson information from being exported by removing
dspace.cfg references to DSPACE-ROLES within the dspace.cfg. I ended up
removing several DSPACE-ROLES references (this was pretty much just the
best educated guess I could make based on reading up on the associated
sections of the dspace.cfg) but the import with this kind of export yielded
a fairly expected kind of error:

-----------------------------------
Destination parents:
Owner: 123456789/2814
Ingesting package located at
/var/www/dspace_root/src/aip/albany_dev.aip.2012-01-11/albany_dev.aip.2012-01-11.zip
Also ingesting all referenced packages (recursive mode)..
This may take a while, please check your logs for ongoing status while we
process each package.
org.dspace.content.crosswalk.CrosswalkInternalException: Cannot restore
Group permissions on object (type=COLLECTION, handle=ALBANYDEV/58, ID=64).
The Group named 'COLLECTION_64_ADMIN' is missing from DSpace. Please
restore this group using the SITE AIP, or recreate it.
at
org.dspace.content.crosswalk.METSRightsCrosswalk.ingest(METSRightsCrosswalk.java:479)
at
org.dspace.content.crosswalk.METSRightsCrosswalk.ingest(METSRightsCrosswalk.java:426)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.METSManifest.crosswalkXmd(METSManifest.java:1151)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.METSManifest.crosswalkObjectOtherAdminMD(METSManifest.java:1072)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSIngester.ingestObject(AbstractMETSIngester.java:459)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSIngester.ingest(AbstractMETSIngester.java:234)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractPackageIngester.ingestAll(AbstractPackageIngester.java:120)
at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractPackageIngester.ingestAll(AbstractPackageIngester.java:165)
[...]

Another thing I tried hinged on the following import property:
#mets.dspaceAIP.ingest.createSubmitter = false

I'm not sure how closely related it might be, but I enabled the directive
and set it to false (even though the default is listed as being false) just
to see if it had an effect. It did not.

The last thing I tried was to make a copy of the destination instance, then
remove the offending epersons from the instance, then try the import again.
This worked okay with the first duplicate eperson, but even though I'm an
administrator for the system, I did not have the option of deleting the
second eperson from the system (the checkmark box from the xmlui was
greyed-out and unselectable).

I'm not sure what to try from here - outside of removing epersons via SQL
and trying the import again. Even then, I'm not sure what affects there
might be on my destination instance from removing the necessary epersons.

Any help or advice one could offer on this issue would most definitely be
appreciated.

Many Thanks!

 - Patrick Etienne

--