I think I'm starting to make some more sense of this, but maybe I'm
missing something and could use some clarification.

Right now our assetstore is owned by the tomcat user, and the reason we
did this was because of "could not create" errors during our submission
process from the UI. It was originally owned by dspace or a mix of
dspace/tomcat which we really didn't understand, so we unified it to the
tomcat user. All was well and good until the current problem.

I'm going to take a guess that the issue is because the PDFbox/media
filter are run by the dspace user and now that user no longer has the
correct permissions to create the text file in the assetstore.

So the solution would be to create a method of having both dspace/tomcat
able to write to the assetstore, which a number of options exist.

Sorry if this is just a regurgitation of everything you already said, I
just wanted to make sure I understood the problem fully.

Thanks!
-Brett