On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 00:14, Brett Arno <barno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I'm starting to make some more sense of this, but maybe I'm missing
> something and could use some clarification.
>
> Right now our assetstore is owned by the tomcat user, and the reason we did
> this was because of "could not create" errors during our submission process
> from the UI. It was originally owned by dspace or a mix of dspace/tomcat
> which we really didn't understand, so we unified it to the tomcat user. All
> was well and good until the current problem.
>
> I'm going to take a guess that the issue is because the PDFbox/media filter
> are run by the dspace user and now that user no longer has the correct
> permissions to create the text file in the assetstore.
>
> So the solution would be to create a method of having both dspace/tomcat
> able to write to the assetstore, which a number of options exist.
>
> Sorry if this is just a regurgitation of everything you already said, I just
> wanted to make sure I understood the problem fully.

I use a single user exactly to avoid the problem. Since the machine is
dedicated to DSpace, I don't have a problem with that from the
security point of view - if anything, the security can be tighter with
one account in this case.

So I can't really tell you the details for a separate-users setup
because I would be only theoreticise and guess. I don't want to
confuse you.

One more idea occurs to me - are you using TOMCAT6_SECURITY=yes? If
so, try switching it to "no" just to test it. I have it switched on,
but I remember I had some problems with it before I started using a
single account. I don't remember what they were, though.

Regards,
~~helix84