Andre,

Between the DSpace 1.6.2 and 1.7.0 releases, the ItemImporter underwent
several improvements & bug fixes.  However, I'm unaware of any bugs
relating to not keeping around the handle, though it's possible there
may have been a bug that we unknowingly fixed in 1.7.0.

If you'd like to see a list of these bug fixes to the import script,
they are listed in the 1.7.0 section of the "History" page of the
Documentation:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC18/History#History-ChangesinDSpace1.7.0

You'd specifically want to search/scan that area for the word "import".
I see four specific fixes that were applied in DSpace 1.7.0:
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-662
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-736
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-629
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-743

I'm not sure if this is much help, but that's the all I'm able to
determine has changed between 1.6.2 and 1.7.0.

- Tim