On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Robin Taylor <robin.tay...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Actually its the old Lucene search I'm looking at, but I suspect you could
> be right in that it may well be the underlying Lucene code that changed. I'm
> just assuming that someone has already noticed this difference and can point
> me in the right direction.

One quickly forgets changes for the better, but remembers changes for
the best. Hmm, I should start writing fortune cookies.

So in DSpace 1.6, there was Lucene 2.3.0, in 1.8, there was 3.3.0.

1) look at the changes in Lucene:
http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_3_0/changes/Changes.html

2) look at Lucene changes in DSpace:
git diff dspace-1_6_x dspace-1_8_x dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/search/

Good luck :)

Regards,
~~helix84