Hi Steve,

already apologies in advance for the vagueness of this answer but there
have been several performance related optimizations to the stats between
1.6.2 and 3.0.

The latest one, SOLR sharding by year, was added in 3.0. This is especially
useful for those institutions who have accumulated multiple years of SOLR
stats.

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Managing+Usage+Statistics#ManagingUsageStatistics-Solr
ShardingByYear<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Managing+Usage+Statistics#ManagingUsageStatistics-Solr
ShardingByYear>

Enabling auto commit was also something not included in the DSpace 1.6
version of the stats by default:
https://atmire.com/website/?q=content/increasing-dspace-performance

Hope this helps! 200,000 usage events is indeed not a huge number so there
should be a way to optimize.

Can I also ask you to share your findings about the spiders here?
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-790

best regards,

Bram

--