Hi Helix,

it tooks a time but now i tested the embargo and the different methods
to import that settings.
In short till now it wont work.
Now what have i done. I created an item and imported it in OAI Solr
search. Searched by the OAI and got the expected output.
I exported it as a simple archive by item exporter, as a csv with batch
metadata editor (-a option) and an AIP by packager.
In DSpace it self the item was searchable and browsable.
After checking that i put the item into private state via XMLUI.
Deleting the Solr search index, recreating the search index and clearing
the cache and the item was no longer browsable or getable by OAI.
I exported it again as a simple archive by item exporter, as a csv with
batch metadata editor (-a option) and an AIP by packager.
Now i did a diff between the two states for the three different ways of
export.
The simple archive and the csv file shows no difference between the two
states except of the dc.description.provenance.
The unpacked AIP shows a difference between the two mets.xml files.
That tells me, that only over AIP i can handle the embargo settings,
or?

So i had the idea now to restore/replace it with the AIP i created as
the item was in "not private" state and it have to be in that state
after replacing it.
Unfortunately it replaces the item but the "not private" state was not
applied to the item.
I set the "not private" state in XMLUI manually and imported the AIP i
created as the item was in the "private" state and this works in parts.
In parts means the item is withdrawn but in "not private" state after
that.
That means replacing an item that is in "not private" state with the
"private" state item works the other way round not.
To see the difference between the withdrawn item that is in "not
private" state i put it manually in "private" state, exported it as AIP,
unzipped, and diff the two mets.xml ... no changes that shows me what i
have to set so get the item in "private"state.

Importing an item with AIP and withdraw options will cause an error
like this.

Replacing DSpace object(s) with package located at aip24.zip
org.dspace.authorize.AuthorizeException: To withdraw item must be
COLLECTION_ADMIN or have REMOVE authorization on owning Collection
         at
org.dspace.app.util.AuthorizeUtil.authorizeWithdrawItem(AuthorizeUtil.java:574)
         at org.dspace.content.Item.withdraw(Item.java:1870)
         at
org.dspace.content.crosswalk.AIPTechMDCrosswalk.ingest(AIPTechMDCrosswalk.java:452)
         at
org.dspace.content.crosswalk.AIPTechMDCrosswalk.ingest(AIPTechMDCrosswalk.java:350)
         at
org.dspace.content.packager.METSManifest.crosswalkXmd(METSManifest.java:1151)
         at
org.dspace.content.packager.METSManifest.crosswalkObjectSourceMD(METSManifest.java:1093)
         at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSIngester.ingestObject(AbstractMETSIngester.java:456)
         at
org.dspace.content.packager.AbstractMETSIngester.replace(AbstractMETSIngester.java:1134)
         at org.dspace.app.packager.Packager.replace(Packager.java:766)
         at org.dspace.app.packager.Packager.main(Packager.java:373)
         at
         at
         at
org.dspace.app.launcher.ScriptLauncher.main(ScriptLauncher.java:183)
org.dspace.authorize.AuthorizeException: To withdraw item must be
COLLECTION_ADMIN or have REMOVE authorization on owning Collection

Puh so, till now i have no way to import items in private state.
I can import it and, replace it afterwards to get it withdrawn but not
in state "private"

Can you please confirm if i'm right here or enlighten me ;)

Best regards, Marco

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Marco Weiß
<marco.we...@kesslernetworks.de> wrote:
> at the moment i tested the item import but as my system is not
> productive today i don't mind if i have to use another method.

If you mean the old importer ([dspace]/bin/dspace import), this type of
package (Simple Archive Format) does not support storing the embargo
information (resource policies) [1]. I think the AIP format does
preserve it [2] [3]. I recommend you to create a testing item manually
from the admin interface with embargo, then export it to AIP and examine
the AIP contents manualy. There should be resource policies in the METS
file. I'm not completely sure about embargo terms, but I didn't hear
that the new embargo would not be compatible with AIP. For the old
embargo, that's not a problem because it doesn't use any special fields
(it uses standard metadata fields and custom setter/lifter code).

> I think I have to use the 3.0 embargo because my DSpace are 3.0 or?

In DSpace 3.0 both are supported. The new embargo is easier to use for
common use cases (e.g. change bistream access policy for the specified
date range), the old one still allows you to write a custom embargo
setter/lifeter code so it's more flexible. More information is in the
official documentation.

[1]
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/Importing+and+Exporting+Items+via+Simple+Archive+Format
[2] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC3x/AIP+Backup+and+Restore