On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Mesfin Teshome <mesfina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What I don't understand is I don't see the themes directory the
> documentations is talking about
> [dspace-source]/dspace/modules/xmlui/src/main/webbapp/themes/ under the
> webbapp directory where I am supposed to copy the templates. Am I missing
> something? Am I supposed to create the themes directory by myself or was it
> supposed to be there after installation.

Hi Mesfin,

that's correct, you can create it. The "modules" directory is a
directory that can contain so-called overlays, i.e. your
customizations to DSpace source code. Keeping them here makes updating
easier, because the distributed source files will be replaced by the
overlays. That's why it's preferable to keep them there as opposed to
in [dspace-source]/dspace-xmlui/src/main/webapp/themes.

That said, it's faster to test your theme directly in
[dspace]/webapps/xmlui/themes - you don't have to rebuild DSpace or
restart Tomcat that way, just reload the page and sometimes clean the
Cocoon cache. Just don't forget to copy them over to [dspace-source],
because the next time you run "mvn package/ant update", the themes in
[dspace] will be replaced by those from [dspace-source]. There is
still a backup in a directory like
[dspace]/webapps.bak-20130306-142917, though.

Regards,
~~helix84