Someone was saying to me that Latex was eventually going to be made
obsolete by Unicode. That is all the symbols required for maths formulae
are in Unicode and that document processors will only need to worry
about positioning. That may be wrong also in that Unicode also defines
codes for positioning such as subscripting and superscripting. This
might help with your problem.

See

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr25/tr25-6.html#_Toc28