Hi Terry,
We tried to change as you suggested but the sitemaps still were calling
incorrectly (they actually seemed to be ignoring the changes we made to the
path). We did manage to fix it by explicitly importing the correct file
into the sub-themes, so it's working! Still a bit strange but I'm glad none
the less.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! I appreciate it.
-Maura