Hi,
Using the Dspace-standard controlled-vocabulary connector with such a
big vocabulary doesn´t yield good results

Two options:
Use a pre-assembled DSPACE with Agrovoc & ASFA vocabularies already
integrated,  as AOD (AgriOcean Dspace). If you already have  a running
DSpace installation, this is not an option, probably
Use a vocabulary server as ASKOSI to serve Agrovoc terms. There are
already some installations with this vocabulary server...

thanks

Emilio Lorenzo