Hello,

I am running into an issue with date range grouping in my repository.  I think I have an idea what's at the root of it (which I will describe below), but I am unsure if there is a real fix that allows preservation of the intent behind the configuration.

In my repository (DSpace 4.1, XMLUI; we're using a customized Mirage2 Beta theme, but I have replicated the issue in other themes to eliminate this possibility), I have items that include a couple of useful dates by which users might want to filter.  The first, obviously, is the issued date.  The second is the action date, which refers to the date the item took effect.  I have these dates grouped together in the dateIssued search filter.  For most of the items, the issue and action dates are not very far apart, often no more than a year or two.  These don't cause issues.  A small percentage of my items have issued and action dates that are decades apart for some reason.  I have verified that these cases are not typos in metadata assignment but are, in fact, special cases, and it is with these items that I see the issue.

This is the relevant snippet from [dspace]/config/spring/api/discovery.xml:

<bean id="searchFilterIssued" class="org.dspace.discovery.configuration.DiscoverySearchFilterFacet">
        <property name="indexFieldName" value="dateIssued"/>
        <property name="metadataFields">
            <list>
                <value>dc.date.issued</value>
                <value>undr.date.action</value>
            </list>
        </property>
        <property name="type" value="date"/>
        <property name="sortOrder" value="VALUE"/>
  </bean>

The decade based groupings at the root level of the discovery sidebar appear correctly:

Date Issued
2010 - 2014 (7224)
2000 - 2009 (19450)
1990 - 1999 (18606)
1980 - 1989 (10025)
1970 - 1979 (7011)
1960 - 1969 (7824)
1950 - 1959 (3734)
1946 - 1949 (2290)

Most of the decade selections work as expected.  However, when I choose a particular decade (1946-1949 or 1970-1979), I get results like this:

Date Issued
1960 - 1965 (70)
1946 - 1949 (2290)

For the above example, I selected the 1946 - 1949 grouping.  There are 70 items in this group that have action dates and issued dates that differ by about 15-20 years.  A sample of one item from this group of 70 items has the following date values:

dc.date.issued 1965

undr.date.action 1949-02-10

What are my options for getting these items to group properly by decade?  Presently they are making the decade filters for two entire decades inaccessible via the facets.  I can remove the action date from the search filter and reindex, but if there is another way to approach this, I would prefer to try that first.  I assume this is a case in which DSpace is expecting there to be only one value per item in search filters that are of the date type.  Nothing in the solr configurations appear relevant.

Cheers,

Aaron Helton (Mr.)
United Nations
Department of Public Information