Hi All,

I've been reading up on the various configurations that you can run DSpace
and the handle service in, and I was wondering if people would be willing
to share their experiences with "non traditional" set ups.

So, the out-of-the-box traditional setup, that I'm guessing 99% of us use
is to run DSpace, and configure the start-handle-server to connect to
DSpace using java (loads the dspace jars, gets access to DSpace API
org.dspace.handle.HandlePlugin, tries to resolve the incoming request with
that DSpace).

So, for an upcoming project, imagine that someone wants to be able to take
a collection OUT of DSpace, and put it into another application on their
campus. If they wanted their handles to continue to resolve, the new
application would need to speak handle, but the handle service would need
to know how to resolve handles to multiple applications.

I know there have been some enhancements to DSpace over the years, I was
just wondering if anyone who had experience with them could share what is
possible, or if there is work that still needs to be done in this area.

One of the new enhancements to DSpace is to allow the handle service to be
on an external server from DSpace: https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1637

It adds some additional endpoints in XMLUI/JSPUI to respond in text, which
an external handle service could use to resolve. Then the box that runs
DSpace, can be properly firewalled, on a private IP address, and not have
world accessible ports coming in. (Your external webserver, and external
handle service would be public, but know how to internally connect to
DSpace).

So, some XMLUI endpoints, that external handle service could use to resolve:

http://trydspace5.longsight.com/handleresolver/listprefixes

["123456789"]

http://trydspace5.longsight.com/handleresolver/listhandles/123456789

["123456789/1","123456789/2","123456789/3","123456789/79","123456789/77","123456789/6","123456789/7"]

http://trydspace5.longsight.com/handleresolver/resolve/123456789/79

["http://trydspace5.longsight.com/handle/123456789/79";]

As far as I understand it. DSpace provides a route to allow a handle
service to determine if DSpace contains that content. If you moved a
collection from DSpaceA to repositoryX, you would need to have a handle
service that knew how to lookup both DSpaceA and repositoryX to see if one
of them can resolve that handle?

And then another question along this same line. Say you have multiple
applications on campus, and wanted each to be capable of minting handles,
has anyone ever worked on a process to have each application contact this
central handle resolver to ensure that the handle it wants to mint is
available? I imagine this would be some type of transaction, to ensure that
competition among consumer applications doesn't lead to a conflict. (Both
apps ask if handle is in use, both hear no, each mints, each posts back to
handle service that its has just minted it, and then, how to roll back, or
handle that state). Ivan mentioned to me, that they just assign handle
ranges to each application.
i.e. DSpaceA = 0-(1M-1), DSpaceB = 1M-(2M-1)
I suppose another route, would be to just use a UUID, and not worry about
colliding. And then, another thing that I think would be possible, but I
would need clarification is: handle prefixes with dots. Such as 1234.1 or
1234.thesis or 1234.dspace1. Are you allowed to claim an additional prefix
with a dot, or do you have to ($) register that with the handle authority?

Another thing I was just thinking, that instead of allocating million
record chunks to each application, what if you prefixed your suffix, with
the application that will be doing the minting? i.e. 1234/thesis-678,
1234/thesis-679, or 1234/a-678, or 1234/dspace1-678

Another trick that I've just seen, not related to how handles will resolve
inside your institution, but it appears that the CNRI handle authority now
has an API to look at resolutions:
http://hdl.handle.net/api/handles/10827/16924

{"responseCode":1,"handle":"10827/16924","values":[{"index":100,"type":"URL","data":{"format":"string","value":"http://dc.statelibrary.sc.gov/handle/10827/16924"},"permissions":"1010","ttl":100,"timestamp":"1970-01-01T00:01:40Z"}]}

So yes, apologies if this was lots of questions, but I'm thinking that
since handles have been in use for so long, that people might be needing
additional tools to help keep these identifiers persistent.

Peter Dietz
Longsight
www.longsight.com
pe...@longsight.com