Wally,
Here's what I did:

dspace=> \d metadatavalue
                                         Table "public.metadatavalue"

Foreign-key constraints:
    "$1" FOREIGN KEY (item_id) REFERENCES item(item_id)
    "$2" FOREIGN KEY (metadata_field_id) REFERENCES
metadatafieldregistry(metadata_field_id)

If your Foreign-key constraints look like the above, do the following:

dspace=> ALTER TABLE metadatavalue DROP CONSTRAINT "$1";
ALTER TABLE
dspace=> ALTER TABLE metadatavalue ADD CONSTRAINT
metadatavalue_item_id_fkey FOREIGN KEY(item_id) REFERENCES
item(item_id);
ALTER TABLE

Then, try the conversion!
Cheers,