Hi Robert,

The simple answer here is that currently DSpace does not have any way to
auto-load new schemas from the namespace URI. Administrators are
expected to create new schemas manually within DSpace.

An additional issue when it comes to METS/MODS is that DSpace currently
does not support hierarchical (XML-based) metadata schemas. It only
understands "flat" schemas that can be simplified or transformed into
the form [schema].[element].[qualifier].  Essentially, this means DSpace
expects a schema that is similar to Dublin Core or Qualified Dublin Core.

That all being said, the DSpace Steering Group is currently in the midst
of doing some strategic planning [1] for DSpace software for the next
3-5 years. As part of that work, we've been collecting & analyzing use
cases from the community, and one of those use cases explicitly asks for
the ability to support hierarchical metadata schemas like METS or MODS.
Here's that specific Use Case:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=55443999

So, it's possible that DSpace will support this eventually. But, right
now, it's just a suggested use case, and we don't yet have a timeline
for when that would be completed.

- Tim

[1] More on 2015 Strategic Planning:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Strategic+Planning