Hello,

I am new to DSpace and trying to get started with UI customization. I'm
comfortable at the Unix/Linux command line, but I'm not a system administrator.
I'm working with a source (not binary) installation of DSpace 5.1 on Ubuntu.
I'm following the "Manakin theme tutorial" here:

        https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Manakin+theme+tutorial

I'm finding that I can edit /dspace/config/xmlui.xconf to indicate any of the
pre-installed themes (Mirage, Reference, Classic, Kubrick, template), restart
Tomcat, and the new theme gets applied successfully. But if I indicate a theme
in a directory I've made, Tomcat returns an error message (details below). For
example, if I copy the "template" directory and call it "test" like so:

        cd /dspace/webapps/xmlui/themes
        cp -r template test

and then edit /dspace/config/xmlui.xconf to indicate the "test" theme like so:

        <theme name="test" regex=".*" path="test/" />

then when I restart Tomcat it returns this error:

        java.io.FileNotFoundException:
jndi:/localhost/xmlui/themes/test/sitemap.xmap

I don't see how it can be a permissions problem, because both the "template"
and "test" directories have the same owner and permissions, and the files in
those directories have the same owner and permissions. That is, the directories
appear to be identical except for the name. Any ideas as to why setting the
config to this:

        <theme name="template" regex=".*" path="template/" />

works just fine, whereas this:

        <theme name="test" regex=".*" path="test/" />

fails?

Thanks,
Greg

PS. For the newbie, it's not clear whether the changes described in the
tutorial should happen in the source directory at
~/dspace-5.1-src-release/dspace-xmlui/src/main/webapp/themes -- or in
/dspace/webapps/xmlui/themes -- or both. The tutorial indicates the source
directory, but it refers to DSpace 1.5, so that's not necessarily accurate.
Based on the error message described above -- which says ".../xmlui/themes/..."
-- apparently UI customizations are supposed to be made in
/dspace/webapps/xmlui/themes. So the tutorial needs to be updated, right?