> You must remember you are working with source.

I get that, but I was thinking that the source files are wherever you unzipped
the download (on my system, ~/dspace-5.1-src-release) and that the "live"
directory where theme files are actually read from disk at runtime would be
this: /dspace/webapps/xmlui/themes (for example, on my system). But when you
say "live" are you referring to /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/xmlui/themes? If so,
does that mean that /dspace/webapps/xmlui/themes is actually the "source"
directory?

Related question: If you're doing UI customization, all that seems to matter is
the theme directory. So why do you have to "rebuild" -- why not just copy the
theme directory from /dspace/webapps/xmlui/themes/MyTheme to
/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/xmlui/themes/MyTheme ?

Thanks!