From: "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@iupui.edu>
To: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 12:24:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] missing Messages.properties file - re-post

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 10:30:37AM -0400, Yongming Wang wrote:
> I don't get any response for my previous posting a week ago. So try again.
> (please see the description below for the problem I encountered.)
>
> My installation is definitely missing the critical Messages.properties file.
> The reason, I guess, may be that I downloaded "dspace-5.1-release.tar.gz",
> which probably doesn't contain Messages.properties. Can anyone tell me if
> that is why I don't have Messages.properties. Thanks so much.

You are correct.  'dspace-5.1-release.tar.gz' is the precompiled
version, and Messages.properties is packed inside one of the .jar
files that it downloads.

> If that's really the reason, what is the remedy?

If you unpack a copy of the file, edit it, and place it in
[DSpace]/webapps/jspui/WEB-INF/classes, I think that copy will be
found before the one in the JAR, but I have not tested this.  You can
unpack it this way:

  cd [DSpace]
  jar xf webapps/jspui/WEB-INF/lib/dspace-api-5.1.jar Messages.properties

That should result in a copy of the file being placed in [DSpace].

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library