Robert, Buddy is NOT against this as you have mentioned...

We have ham's 100 miles away, using an analog on the same frequency,
and our D-Star repeater is walking over their analog output....

It has nothing to do with him accepting the new technology, he, like
myself, are pushing it full speed ahead. So no, Buddy was commenting on
the fact our dstar system is built so good, on worse case scenario, we
can use the system out 50+ miles. Now that being said, 50 miles towards
Daytona Beach, yeah, a mobiles transmission would in fact be heard on
an unsquelched Analog repeater, even though there is a separation of 108
mile from each site. Our site is 620 ASL where as the Daytona Bch site is
at 230 ASL (on the coast), we put out 75 watts into the duplexer, they put
out 25. Who is gona win this tropo contest?? Well, we did, cause we were
out talking the Daytona repeater and there were station UNDER the site
who could not hear the repeater because of our transmissions....

Case closed.

Evans

[ED - Let's not get personalities into the discussion. There are technical
issues to understand, but every area is different and one size solutions will
not suffice.  For example, tropo is extremely rare in the mountain west, and
populations are sparse, but repeaters are often over 4000' HAAT and present
unique co-channel challenges as compared to relatively flat land. Local
experience and coordination bodies will learn and adapt.]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: