Robert wrote:

> One thing analog systems really need to do, which in this day and age
> there is no excuse not to, is use CTCSS or DCS on the receiver.

This type of thing is the reason that Analog FM coordinations in our
area REQUIRE that the system have a working CTCSS decoder.

It doesn't have to be ON all the time, but you must implement one in
order to obtain a coordination.

Complaints about co-channel interference during band openings from
far-away repeaters are then met with, "Why didn't you turn on your
decoder?"  Especially complaints about UHF, where we're "upside down"
from a couple of surrounding States.  (We're high-out, low-in, some are
the other way around, which makes things "interesting" along the borders.)

Similarly, encoders at the repeater and CTCSS "squelch" on user radios
will alleviate the situation where a band opening carries a far-away
repeater's output to your users.

As the joke goes around here... "Time to implement that 1970's technology!"

Nate WY0X