From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Joey
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 15:43
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [dstar_digital] ID-800H

I am new to ham radio and DStar. I ordered an ICOM ID-800H yesterday
and have a quick question regarding the data cable. The data cable
available from ICOM (OPC-1384) terminates to a RS-232 serial port.
This is no problem for my desktop PC, but my laptop does not have a
serial port. In order to use the Dstar data capabilities with my
laptop, I am assuming that I would need to use a rs232 (serial) to USB
adapter. My question is do you know if programs such as dchat and
dstar comms support the use of such an adapter. My past experience is
that the use of such an adapter is somewhat hit and miss depending on
the program and speed requirements. Thanks for any help and advice