Hello,

As part of our Dstar/Analog testing (see the thread posted several
months ago) we modified a Mastr II repeater to transmit, alternately,
Dstar and analog signals:  For analog, we used the radio's phase
modulator and for Dstar, we used the direct-FM on the compensation
line.  In our opinion, the Mastr II produced a better-quality signal
than the IC-91AD, mostly because it didn't suffer from the "PLL
Bounce" problem that the direct-FM modulated Icom radios have (e.g.
associated with the PLL trying to track the low-frequency components
of the modulation.)

Modulation of the Dstar baseband signal was quite trivial:
Application of the baseband to the temperature compensation line.
This is a technique that we'd used years ago when we put a bunch of
Mastr Exec II's on 9600 baud packet - although Dstar is easier to
manage in some ways as it operates at half the symbol rate and much
lower deviation.

While we haven't seriously considered putting up a "Mastr II" based
repeater of any sort, we did think about what it would take to do so:

- Maintain frequency/temperature compensation.  Adding the modulation
shouldn't affect the compensation line.  In most cases, this line
doesn't really change voltage unless there are some temperature
extremes involved.  If it does, however, the amount of deviation could
change slightly as the V/F ratio changes.

Presuming that one wishes to maintain frequency stability in excess of
what the standard compensation method offers (e.g. better than a "5C"
or even a modified "2C) it would be easy to add a very simple crystal
oven, heating the crystal/oscillator to only slightly above the
expected maximum ambient:  This would solve the V/F problem and likely
yield more than adequate frequency stability.

Another possibility would be to lock to an external reference, such as
an ovenized oscillator or a GPS reference (which I have done on an
analog, multi-repeater UHF synchronous/voting system using Mastr
II's.)  As the voltage changes, however, the change in deviation
available should also be compensated - but the majority of this change
could be accommodated with a simple thermistor-based compensator using
an op amp - if the temperature swing wasn't excessive.

- From what we observed, the linearity of the this modulation is
perfectly acceptable on a High-band VHF Mastr II - and should even be
a bit better on a UHF version.  (For 9600 baud packet, this was a bit
more critical, but that was with about 4 times the deviation.)

- The greatest challenge will be the modification of the receiver, as
it will be necessary to narrow the IF if one wishes to take advantage
of the closer channel spacing possibilities afforded by Dstar.  There
are (apparently) "narrowbanding" kits for many commercial radios in
which the IF filtering is replaced to accommodate the 12.5 kHz analog
channel spacing - a bandwidth that *may* be appropriate for the Dstar
spacing in some parts of the country (e.g. 12.5 kHz or more.)

Whether or not such retrofits are available specifically for the Mastr
II, I have not checked, but I have refit a Master II with standard
10.7 MHz IF crystal filters (which *are* readily available in a
variety of different bandwidths - and for fairly low cost) and had
excellent result for 9600 baud packet (with the appropriate change in
LO frequency, of course) and have little doubt that, if appropriately
aligned, it should also work for something like Dstar.

Based on our experience with the 9600 baud retrofits, making it pass
data with minimal distortion of the receive waveform would probably
involve more effort and finesse than the "standard" method of tuning a
Mastr II (e.g. voltmeters and signal generators) as more-careful
attention must be paid to the flatness of the passband!

The final hurdle would be to be able to demodulate, process, and
remodulate the baseband data in the manner appropriate to Dstar
repeater operation, but I believe that this has already been done by
others.

73,

Clint
KA7OEI