Craig,

When you loose power at your home most of the other areas around you most often
have power and yes your internet might work.

For New Orleans after Katrina type of event all for miles around you is down
and I would not expect any service to work.  Your battery/AC converter will
make your computer work, but not the rest of the system.

Here most of our cel phones and newer internet services are in fiber under
ground and this has been planned to survive, but I do not count on it.  The
systems are rugged, but I am sure there are weaknesses that will be taken out.

73, ron, n9ee/r