Tom's correct, the 2820 is more expensive, but, as I mentioned earlier, the
2820 is the preferred choice (by me).  I only purchased the 800 as a backup,
for EmComm use at the local EOC, since the price was a good one (got it used).
Otherwise, would have purchased another 2820 for the backup.

I'd get on the net or phone with your favorite dealer and do some discussions,
getting a better idea of what cost what.  This forum would better serve as
helping you choose what would be best for your particular needs.  You have
several choices, and not everyone needs the top of the shelf 2820.  I would
also strongly suggest that you consult your local group that is already in D*.
They would be able to give you a very good amount of advise on what will serve
you best (I would hope).

You can also spend some time on the links below.....

http://www.dstarinfo.com/

http://www.dvdongle.com/DV_Dongle/Home.html    ( a tool that makes your laptop
or desktop a D* radio)

http://d-rats.danplanet.com/wiki/    (really neat software!!!  featured in the
recent QST)

http://dstarusers.org/

http://n6six-hamshack.50megs.com/custom_1.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8dUJp0rc0g

I know it's a lot to look at, but the more info you soak up, the better
decision you'll make.

Hope this helps,

doug
k4gkj