-That is a lot of advice. What makes you think I am isolated.
I have worked APRS Sat.
Our local repeater is linked to several states all the way to Montana.
We have a 900 mhz linked system. Several Echo Link and ILRP stations.

Our club is putting up a D-Star stack I have a 91 AD. My next purchase
is a ID-1.
I am on Wires II. Echolink, I even do simplex and HF.
I have radios on my motorcycles.
It is my opinion if a new ham will not read the manuals, does not want
to learn theory, complains about the price of radios and always gets
the cheapest possible is not going to to well with D-Star.
My main interest is using the new technology.
Dale