You can't use the USB interface on your Garmin GPS, the ID-800 requires a
serial interface.

Some Garmin GPS units also provide a serial interface, but not all. The
connector varies but typically it's a 4-pin cable either round with 4 pins or
flat with 4 spring contacts.

There was a gentleman at Dayton working on a small translator that would enable
the USB interface to speak RS-232 NEMA, he had a working prototype but I've yet
to see (nor have I looked for) any results from his project.

If your GPS has a serial interface, check out www.pfranc.com for a cable (or
the parts to make a cable).

-Mike

--