--- In dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com, "ki4umx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Our area is scheduled for a D-Star repeater "when funding is
> available", so a few of us are planning to get the radios and operate
> Simplex until the magic day arrives. My question is - Do I need to use
> MYCALL and URCALL when operating Simplex? I suspect that I do, but
> wanted to check with someone who has used Simplex.
>
> Hank
> KI4UMX

Hank,

Technically no, but you probably want to use them anyway.  When you
have MYCALL set to KI4UMX you ID every tinme you key up.  If you set
URCALL to CQCQCQ that is generally the "CQ" message.  BTW, if you have
MYCALL set it will show on the other station's display when you key
up.  There may also be a few folks who will want to try Callsign
Squelch, in which case you will want to put their callsign in the
URCALL slot.

-- John, K7VE