Right it totaly makes sense now because they two aren't equal but see
that was my whole point of investigating this. Because I just did a
Presentaion on APRS and that was a question that came up. APRS versus
D-Star and all I knew at the time was that D-Star could send MSG from
one radio to the other and from what I am told here it can not. But I
just got off the the 2M Radio with a guy in Shreveport, LA who still
tells me it can be done with a PC or maybe keyboard. So basically I
am not getting the whole story or two different stories.

And I really appreciate Pete's explanation but man he needs to get
some more common terms to use to help explain things better. It's
like when I go to the Doctors office. They explain all these big
words for simple body parts and I have to tell them to say it in lay
mans terms. You know?

But why is it a  simple straight answer is so hard to find these days?
Reason being is I am sick of staying up wee hours of the night doing
stuff like this. Or reasearching up on something like D-Star for no
good reason. I don't get enough rest as it is. I need simple and
straight to the point answers please.

See all Pete had to say was. There is no Messaging in D-Star. That
would have been the end of it. Except for maybe why do the guys in
Shreveport, LA keep telling me there is. But why drag something as
simple as "there is no mesaaging in D-Star" out like this? Because if
D-Star had MSG capabilities then all would have to be done is set up
a Server to tie the Two D-Star and APRS Servers together for the MSG
mode. It doesn't matter if the two aren't compatable let the Computer
or Server do all of the conversion, out the Internet to the Local D-
Star Repeater or APRS I-Gate and then on to the proper Station.

But this is where I am at. It doesn't matter to me what D-Star can or
can't do at this point because even if I wanted one there is no point
in it. I am in East Texas and we don't even have a decent APRS
Network much less a D-Star repeater. So bottom line is this If I
could affortd one of the high priced jewles I still couldn't use it.
Unless I had two and had some type of Simplex link up. Because I dang
sure can't afford a whole repeater. I can't even afford an FM
Repeater much less a D-Star Repeater for that matter. Then where
would I put it? All the Tower space is either taken or gone these
days. I actually forsee Repeaters like we are used to in the past
being a thing of the past. Instead of one big Tower and bunch of
little towers linked together to get the same coverage. Like the cell
Phone Network or APRS Network.

So like I said whats the point? I can't see the point of going
DIGITAL with my Voice communications. FM sounds so much better than
HF that I am totaly happy with that. So what do I need to save the
extra band width for? I can't send Text MSG thru it. I see where you
can add a exspensive GPS and send location DATA thru it but why? I
can't add a laptop and see other stations on it like APRS can. D-STAR
is going to have to add alot more features to sell these exspensive
radios to us because at the present time it just isn't worth the
hassle and change over from what we already have. It doesn't make
sense.

We have to much invested in the old stuff at this point and time. And
that is the bottom line. Oh and to add to that I believe in some
other States there are other Radios for Public service in use already
for different EMCOMM or official work. So when we add a D-Star radio
to the list then we gotta find even more room for yet another radio
under the dash. Great!

DE WW5RM
Randall

--- In dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Bob McCormick W1QA"