First off Randall , it's not a waste of band width,
Dstar runs Skinny Band (Narrow Band FM) at 2.5 KHz Div.
I don't want to put you in to info-overload, but there's
a group of hams who are running the dstar vocoder (AMBE-2020)
on hf now.....

It's not a money for options deal here. I applaud your questions,
but your also jumping on a horse that's in the barn asleep still too...

Please slow down, I am having to play catch up with all your questions,
yet your pulling the firing cord on the canon and blowing us out of
the water too....

1) you asked about messaging with dstar to aprs..
Pete answered it correctly. NO

2) Can dstar do messaging?
Myself and others answered, YES.

3) Is it anything like cellular SMS???
LOL, ok, now it's getting into what
came first the chicken or the egg?
Yes we can, but your going to get bored
with the answer we give.

4)MEATY QUESTION!!! YEAH!
Can you scan with the 2820???

YES, I scan the railroad AAR channels and scan
my local dstar channels (4 sites mind you)
I scan AFMARS repeters that are now Narrow Band FM,
I have over 375 channels programmed into my 2820,
almost half more then my commercail Kenwood TK-7180
and my TK-8180 UHF radio and hand-held.

Do I mention I scan more crap then I could ever listen
to in a 30 second time frame, and use my 2820 to decode
Rail Road ATCS activities on 900 MHz to my laptop
using the PACKET RADIO connection on the radio too....
(which btw will do 1200 or 9600 baud AX.25 Packet)

OH CRAP, another can of worms, Randall, you can hook
up a tiny2, to your dstar radio and do aprs on both
sides, APRS and D-PRS.

Not to over load the mind, but the 2820 wont
clean the kitchen nor will it replace the
common house wife.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

NOW, a meaty note to you, YOU CAN NOT USE D-STAR ON BOTH
BANDS, the radio will only decode one band or the other,
not both at the same time.

Evans